- 1 Uber Driver Requirements
- 2 What if I want to drive for Uber BLACK?
- 3 How do you apply to become an Uber driver?
- 4 What if I don’t meet all the Uber driver requirements?
- 5 Conclusion
Do you want to become an Uber driver but don’t know what the Uber driver requirements are? It can be challenging to find all the information about the requirements for Uber drivers on official Uber sites. In this post, I will show you all the necessary requirements to be a driver for Uber. If you do fulfill the requirements, it is a pretty simple process to sign up to drive.
Here are the detailed Uber driver requirements to drive for Uber:
Uber Driver Requirements
Uber Driver Age Requirements
- You must be 21 years of age or older.
- You must have 3 years driving experience. If you have recently moved from another state, it might be possible may have to verify your driving history. Keep your out-of-state drivers license. You might need it.
- You need to have in-state car insurance in your name.
- You must have in-state car registration. It does not need to be in your name.
- You must have an in-state Driver’s License.
- You must have a Social Security Number for a background check.
- Clean driving record.
- Pass a background check.
The background check is done by a company called Hirease. It will take a few days.
Background check: make sure that in the past 7 years you have had…
- No DUI or drug-related offenses.
- No incidents of driving without insurance or license.
- No fatal accidents
- No history of reckless driving.
- No criminal history.
Uber Driver Requirements
You must have a vehicle (or purchase one) that meets the Uber Driver Requirements.
The UberX vehicle requirements are:
- 4-door sedan, must seat 4 or more passengers excluding driver.
- Year 2001* or newer.
- In-state plates.
- No marked, taxi, or salvaged vehicles.
- Pass Uber vehicle inspection.
- The car must be currently registered, but your name does not have to be on the registration.
*Uber car year requirements can vary by city. It is currently year 2001 or newer in many cities.
What if I want to drive for Uber BLACK?
What are the UberBLACK driver requirements?
There are different requirements if you want to drive for Uber Black. The Uber BLACK driver requirements are commercial licensing, insurance and registration. Also, the Uber Black service requires you to have a luxury vehicle.
Becoming an Uber BLACK driver is more involved than becoming an UberX driver. You must have commercial car insurance, a TCP, and an airport permit in most cities. If you want to drive for Uber Black – follow the step-by-step instructions for your city here, including a detailed list of the Uber BLACK car requirements.
How do you apply to become an Uber driver?
You can read the full detailed step-by-step guide to becoming an Uber driver here.
A brief summary of the steps:
Step 1 – Complete an application online here.
Step 2 – Get your car inspected at one of the Uber inspection stations or at a 3rd party.
Step 3 – Wait for the background check to clear.
Step 4 – Start driving!
What if I don’t meet all the Uber driver requirements?
Here are the reasons why you might not be accepted to drive for Uber and what you can do to about it:
You are not 21 years old.
Sorry but at the moment you will just have to wait until you are old enough or Uber changes the age requirement.
You don’t have a Social Security Number or are not allowed to work in the U.S.
You should consult an immigration attorney about this. Uber may let you sign up to drive if you have a SSN even if your visa does not allow you to work in the U.S., but this is not recommended as it may violate the terms of your visa.
You didn’t pass the background check.
If you requested a copy of the background check when you applied, then you should see why you are not accepted. Unfortunately there isn’t much you can do about it other than wait. Most offenses are taken off your record after 7 years.
Your car doesn’t qualify.
If your car doesn’t qualify then consider getting an upgrade. You can often find great deals on used cars. The increased income from driving for Uber should more than compensate for a small monthly car payment.Check out our list of the best cars to drive for Uber.
You don’t have the required in-state documents.
You must have an in-state license, in-state registration and in-state insurance. If you don’t have these then you will have to get them.
The best way to find out if you meet all of the Uber driver requirements is to just apply. It is quick and easy. In addition, if you sign up with our referral link you can get a cash bonus.
Sign up to drive with Uber for a cash bonus!