- 1 How to become an Uber driver in 3 steps
- 1.1 How to become an Uber driver in three steps – step-by-step guide
- 1.2 What are the requirements to become an Uber driver?
- 1.3 How long does it take to be activated as an Uber driver?
- 1.4 Should you buy a car?
- 1.5 How much money will you make driving for Uber?
How to become an Uber driver in 3 steps
IDWU will show you how to become an Uber driver in 3 steps – I am frequently asked the question, “How do I become an Uber driver?” The process of becoming an Uber driver is pretty simple and straight-forward. So, how to become an Uber driver? If you want to be your own boss and drive for Uber, you only have to do 3 simple things…that’s it.
Follow these steps, and become an Uber driver!
How to become an Uber driver in three steps – step-by-step guide
Step 1 – Complete an application online here.
- You need to provide your personal information so that Uber can perform a background check.
- You need to provide vehicle information and pictures (front & rear bumper and interior).
- Finally it will be required that you upload driver’s license, car registration, and insurance.
Step 2 – Get your car inspected.
Uber has a car inspection station in many cities where they’ll inspect your car at no cost. Uber sometimes even offers cash bonuses for getting your car inspection done at one of their locations. I received $100 bonus for the inspection in addition to the sign-up bonus.
You can also have a 3rd party inspect your car.
Here’s what’s on the vehicle inspection form. It’s very simple stuff. They just want to make sure that your car is in normal working order: lights, seat belts, etc.
Step 3 – Pass the background check.
After step 1 and 2 are done, you just wait until your background check has cleared.
They check, if you’ve had any of the following in the past 7 years:
- DUI or drug-related offenses.
- Driving without insurance or license.
- Fatal accidents or a history of reckless driving.
- Criminal history.
It only took 3 days for mine to go through, but it can take more than a week. During this time, you’ll receive a kit in the mail. It contains a small Welcome manual, an aux cord, and an “Uber” sticker to display on the inside windshield of your car.
We have shown you the 3 steps required to become an Uber driver, after these 3 steps are completed you can start driving. You should receive an e-mail from Uber letting you know you are activated. If you don’t receive one within a few days after completing these steps, then you can either contact your local Uber support team or follow these instructions:
- Log in to the Uber partner app on Android or iPhone and sign in.
- You should see a button at the top of the screen that says “Go Online”. Click on that and one of two things will happen.
- You see a message saying that you are not approved to drive yet. If this happens, make sure you completed all of the steps above. Also, check your e-mail to see if Uber sent you anything asking you to upload documents, etc. If you’re sure you completed everything then you may still have to wait on the background check. Sometimes, but rarely, they take a couple weeks to process. Contact your local Uber support team and ask the status of your application.
- The other thing that will happen is a map appears where you can start accepting ride requests. This indicates that you are approved and can start driving.
What are the requirements to become an Uber driver?
You will be approved if you meet all of the Uber driver requirements.
Here is a brief summary:
- You must be 21 years of age or older.
- You must have a car that is year 2000 or newer (year requirements vary by city).
- You must have in-state license, car registration, and auto insurance.
- You must pass a background check.
How long does it take to be activated as an Uber driver?
After you’ve finished your application online, you should be able to start driving within a week. In rare cases the background check can take up to two weeks.
Once you’re activated (Uber will send you an e-mail), you are good to go! You just log into the Uber driver app and click “Go Online”.
Should you buy a car?
If your car doesn’t meet the requirements for your city, or you plan on driving a lot and your car has very poor gas mileage, then you may want to consider buying a different car.
I highly recommend that you do not buy a new car, because the depreciation is much higher than with a used car. Get one that is around 5 years old. Driving full time, you could put up to 1000 miles a week on your car. If you consider leasing a car, make sure you know how many miles you can drive per year without any extra charges.
Consider investing in a hybrid, or at least a car with good gas mileage. A hybrid is more fuel efficient in city traffic, which will most likely be the bulk of your driving . My average speed is 18 mph here in Los Angeles and my 2010 Toyota Corolla gets 23 city-mpg. In comparison, a 2010 Toyota Prius gets 51 city-mpg. I spend about $400 a month on gas, so a Prius would save me about $200. That’s more than the difference in monthly payments for a Prius of the same year!
How much money will you make driving for Uber?
The truth is, it varies depending on where you live, what the local market is like, and obviously how much time you spend driving. I make between $15 and $25 an hour after Uber’s commission, taxes, fuel, and other car expenses. Read the full post about how much money I make driving for Uber.
There are a few things you can do to maximize your earnings.
Be a smart driver by:
- Dual driving for both Uber and Lyft.
- Driving during peak hours.
- Driving in the morning when there is less competition from other Uber drivers.
- Using a fuel efficient car.
- Not chasing surges.
…See you on the road!
Please leave a comment if you have any questions about how to become an Uber driver.